Every year, we push back against efforts to chip away at the right to an abortion in West Virginia, but we could see our biggest battle yet in 2022.
Several lawmakers have publicly stated they want to pass a similar law to Texas’ SB8, a radical anti-abortion measure that has decimated access to lifesaving care in that state.
Abortion is still legal in West Virginia. ACLU-WV and our allies will keep fighting to make sure it not only stays that way, but that access to care is also expanded.
The law in Texas is insidious. It creates a bounty-hunting scheme deputizing private citizens to collect $10,000 bounties for suing anyone who helps someone get an abortion after six weeks. Most people don’t know they’re pregnant until after six weeks, and a fetus is months away from being viable at that stage of pregnancy. The law’s language is so absurdly broad that even a rideshare driver who takes someone to an abortion clinic could be hauled into court.
The law has avoided judicial review for now, but several cases that could ultimately decide its fate are still playing out in the courts.
With so much at stake, it’s vital that we not only get ready for a fight in 2022, but have important conversations about abortion right now.
Here are some things you can do to support abortion rights and prepare for this continued fight for reproductive rights:
- Support WV’s only abortion provider, the Women’s Health Center of West Virginia
- Support groups like the ACLU-WV fighting against SB8 and other attacks on abortion access
- Read abortion stories shared by the Women’s Health Center and/or share your story
- Volunteer as a clinic escort at the Women’s Health Center (or at a clinic near you) to help patients feel safe and supported when seeking services due to an increase in harassment and intimidation from anti-abortion protesters
- Learn about abortions before Roe v. Wade. Watch documentaries like ‘Motherless: A Legacy of Loss from Illegal Abortion’ to learn about the dangers of illegal abortions prior to Roe.
- Have conversations about abortion - what it means to you and others you know - and why access to safe, legal abortion is so critical. Make sure you are having these conversations with friends, neighbors, family, etc. who need to hear it - not just among supporters
- Follow us on social media for updates and events related to abortion rights, legislative advocacy, and more.
Abortion is healthcare. Abortion is a right. Abortion is still legal in West Virginia, and we will never stop fighting alongside you to keep it that way.