About the ACLU of West Virginia
The American Civil Liberties Union of West Virginia, the state’s leading civil liberties and civil rights organization, seeks a part-time (20 hours per week, flexible times/ days) Administrative Assistant. This position will primarily be supporting the work of the Legal Director, but will occasionally support other staff members.
The ACLU of West Virginia is a non-partisan, non-profit public interest organization dedicated to protecting and expanding civil liberties for all people in West Virginia. A major focus of our work is to extend the promise of the Bill of Rights to those groups who have traditionally been denied its protections. Given the current political environment in West Virginia, we believe that our mission is as relevant and important today as it has ever been.
The ACLU of West Virginia is an independent affiliate of the National ACLU and comprises two separate corporate entities, the ACLU of West Virginia and the ACLU of West Virginia Foundation. Both entities have the same overall mission, the same Board of Directors, and share office space and employees. The ACLU has two separate corporate entities in order to do a broad range of work to protect civil liberties. The ACLU of West Virginia Foundation is a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation that primarily engages in litigation and public education. The ACLU of West Virginia is a 501(c)(4) non-profit corporation that primarily engages in lobbying.
Legal Program Responsibilities:
- Assist the Legal Director with filing, keeping up with correspondence, and maintaining her calendar.
- Assist in written and electronic record management, including the long-term and short-term storage, scanning and destruction of documents.
- Other tasks assigned by the Legal Director
General Office Responsibilities:
- Process incoming and outgoing mail.
- Help code, scan and submit accounts payable and accounts receivable to CPA firm.
- Demonstrated experience in office reception and administrative tasks.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail with the ability to multi-task.
- Excellent telephone, verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be self-motivated and able to meet deadlines under pressure.
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Comfortable with various office equipment, computers, the internet, and proficient in Microsoft applications.
- Commitment to the mission of the ACLU.
$15 per hour with no benefits.
Submit a letter of interest, resume, and two professional references (identifying their relationship to you and including their email address and phone number). Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Part Time Administrative Assistant” in the subject line.
Applicants will be reviewed on a rolling basis and will be accepted until the position is filled. The job announcement will remain posted on our website, www.acluwv.org, until the position is filled. When the position is filled, the announcement will be removed from the website.
The ACLU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages women, people of color, people with disabilities and LGBTQ people to apply. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of West Virginia strongly encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, criminal history, and veteran status.