We are increasingly criminalizing common youth behavior and unnecessarily separating families. Community-based alternatives that keep kids at home are cheaper and more effective, and provide them with the resources and tools they need to succeed.
ABOUT OUR CAMPAIGN
The ACLU-WV is committed to reforming juvenile justice system from the ground up in West Virginia through this multi-year campaign.
This campaign seeks to put an end to the criminalization of childhood behavior, meeting the needs of children facing mental health crises and trauma, keeping families together, ending the school-to-prison pipeline, ensuring that racial disparities are erased, focusing on rehabilitation in the least restrictive setting, and more.
- Reduce juveniles in detention in West Virginia by 75%
- Reduce juveniles in residential placement by 65%
- Reduce out-of-home placement for status offences by 65%
- Reduce referrals to court from school by 50%
- Eliminate disparate minority contact in schools and communities
Help us make history! Sign up here to become a campaign volunteer today!