The ACLU of West Virginia receives thousands of requests for assistance every year. Because we do not have a large legal staff and because our work is focused almost exclusively on violations of civil rights and threats to liberties in West Virginia, we are unable to respond to the vast majority of requests for assistance.

If you file a request for assistance, please do not expect a response. It is important that you immediately seek legal assistance elsewhere.

In general, we do not handle cases that involve evictions, landlord-tenant disputes, general disputes between employees and employers (for example, disputes centering on wages and hours), criminal prosecutions, divorce, child custody, or wills.

All requests for legal assistance must be submitted in writing. We do not do in-person interviews, nor do we accept walk-ins or phone calls regarding legal help.

If you are seeking help from the ACLU of West Virginia and wish to fill out an online complaint form—with the understanding that you are unlikely to receive a response—please click here.

If you are seeking assistance for a problem that occurred in another state, please click here for a national directory of ACLU offices.